Sunday, March 29, 2009

Vancouver Playhouse International Wine Festival

I had never attended the Playhouse Wine Festival before this year. I have been to many other similar events and as a general rule, I'm not a big fan of large wine tasting events. It reminds me of a cattle call. And to be fair, I haven't usually been in town to attend it.

This year I decided to take advantage of the fact that I was in town during the event. I was invited to some private tasting suites and I signed up for 3 wine seminars. I even joined the herd on the main tasting floor.

I attended 3 seminars on Saturday, Vinho Verde, Blind Blind and Century Mark. Blind Blind was a double blind wine tasting. Not only did we not know what wines we were drinking, we were also blindfolded. The idea being that taking away one sense heightens the others. Now as I've previously mentioned, I suck at blind wine tasting. This was a great seminar for me to work on my skills. Having just got back into town on Thursday night I hadn't had a chance yet to start building on my nose encyclopedia but I am happy to report that I did get 2 of the 10 wines right. And by right I guessed what grape varietal they were. Baby steps.

During the Century Mark seminar we tasted 9 wines all from vines that are over 100 years old. The vines are over 100 years old not the bottles of wine. These wines are produced in limited quantities because vines that old have small yields meaning they don't produce a lot of grapes. The wines were very dark and rich. I wish they would have given us some cheese during the tasting because these wines are so intense that a bite of cheese would have made a big difference towards the enjoyment of them.

But the seminar I enjoyed the most was Vinho Verde. Vinho Verde is a white Portugese wine. This was my a-ha moment. One of my goals with this blog is to introduce people to good quality wines that don't cost a fortune. Vinho Verde is one of those wines. You all know how I feel about Critter Wines, well I have found the exception to the rule. Vinho Verde Gatao (there's a blue cat on the label). This is an awesome wine. Once the weather warms up, it will be great to sip on the patio by itself or with a wide variety of appetizers. During the seminar there were snacks provided by the chef of the convention center so we got to try the wines with various foods. There is a huge Asian influence in Vancouver's cuisine and it's often hard to find wines to work with all the complex spices. Typically Rieslings have been the go to wine for Asian food as well as Sauvignon Blanc. The Vinho Verde wines were amazing with the Asian spices. The other two wines that stood out were Arco Nova Rose 2007 and Arco Nova Loureiro 2007. We tasted 6 wines and they were all fabulous and all under $20. The problem is that 3 of them aren't available yet. You can get Gatao at the BC Liquor Store for $10.99. The Arco Nova wines are available at Everything Wine in North Vancouver. If you are in North Van, it's worth a trip to Everything Wine to pick these wines up. The Rose' worked so well with all the snacks we tried. I was told that if you bought them by the case you got a $2/bottle discount off the listed price. Well worth it because once you have these wines at home, they will be gone quickly.

Aside from the great wines tasted during the seminars, I really need to comment on how excellent the events were run. The people they had running the seminars and on all the panels were fabulous. They made each event very enjoyable. I can't wait until next year so I can attend more seminars.

It made me very proud to be a Vancouverite. Many people from all over the world come to this event. This wine festival is really world class.

No comments: